Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Little Help From My Friends?

Today at work, the boss lady asked if I would be willing to work some overtime in January helping out the department that drives me batty.  Le Sigh. Sure.  I'll take the OT.  And moments later she stopped back at my desk to let me know that they could use my help now, if I was interested. Sure!  Unless I squeeze in a few hours this week, all I will get this month is extra straight time hours because I have the next 3 Friday's off to use up the last of my vacation days.  At least it's extra money, and I know that I should be grateful to have a job.  But I am still allowed to whine about it cause I am really starting to hate what I do?  See first post: A New Beginning. 

Ok, so here's my question.  What the heck am I qualified for?  I don't want to fill spreadsheets with numbers any more unless I am working on a WFTDA Stats Book.  Some of my favorite projects in the past were when I was able to do things creative like.  For instance, I used to make flyers and posters for events (company picnic, pot lucks, etc).  At another job I basically wrote and published the company newsletter. I would include the usual anniversaries, birthdays, upcoming events and some field related article.  I never used anything more advanced than Microsoft Publisher.  But I enjoyed the writing, organizing, and formatting.

I have a Bachelor of Science with focus on Business Administration from Central Michigan University.  I have taken a few creative writing classes, basic composition, technical writing and even a web design class (that's probably way out of date now).  I would love to take some courses in writing again.  I'd take anything that I could find right now; screenplay, short story, poetry, even technical again!  What I would really like to find a class in is something more focused to writing for today's media (blog publishing, online news sources, Twitter even! That sort of stuff).  Last I checked OU had a journalism program still, I am just hesitant to spend that kind of money on something that was listed as the worst degree to have.  I know, if I am truly dedicated to making this my career I should be willing to make that kind of investment. Maybe someday, just not right now.

In the meantime, I am going to keep writing here and I would like to also start on a separate, more in depth writing project. Of course I didn't think to get in on the NaNoWriMo until it was too late, and by too late I mean it being over. If anyone has any other suggestions I would greatly accept them. Now, off to the internets to research more!

No comments:

Post a Comment