Sunday, November 11, 2012

Near & Far: Friends Across the Country

Roller derby has given me the chance to meet people from all around the world.  Just yesterday I was at a Black & White Scrimmage hosted by my Detroit Derby Girls.  There were skaters from a neighboring team, the Ann Arbor Derby Dimes as well as skaters all the way from New York, Gotham Girls Roller Derby.   It was really one of the funnest mixed scrimmages I have been to in a while.  Of course it was a blast because I got to be with all of my official friends, including some from Brighton. And there was also this new love and support for A2.  Earlier in the summer our pick-up team the Motown Wreckers had played against A2 and were beat pretty bad (168-81).  Later at the Mitten Kittens tournament, DDG & A2 went head to head again and this time the Wreckers squeaked out a win, 161-151.  It's great that even as competing teams, we can still get together on a Saturday afternoon and mix our teams together and learn from each other.  Oh, and did I mention that the Gotham Girls are this year's WFTDA Champs?  Talk about a learning opportunity right there!

The world is a lot smaller than it seems and life never ceases to amaze me when things so far apart from one another are actually tied together.  After the scrimmage yesterday I had a going away party to attend for a good friend and recent house guest, Paul.  Due to circumstances beyond his control, he's packing up what he can and starting life over again in Orlando.  Just when I was celebrating skaters from across the state and country coming together for a few fun hours, I was suddenly in the company of teary-eyed friends and family wishing Paul all the best on his new journey.  And its not like we we're not going to see him again, it just won't be as frequent.  He's had a knack these past few years of showing up just as Mike was lighting the grill for dinner.  His little visits will truly be missed. 

I have known Paul for a good part of my life, he and Mike became friends in high school and he has popped in and out ever sense.  He was a frequent guest at Camp Grief, and a neighbor for a while.  We've celebrated birthdays, graduations, weddings and births together and we will continue to do so for the rest of our lives I am sure.  We had a great time last night drinking, dancing, singing karaoke, and just enjoying the most out of our last few days with him before he leaves.

And it doesn't seem to matter where I go, someone will ask if I know so-and-so and sure enough they're apart of derby somehow, and somehow I just happen to know them.  But that's always the perfect way to suggest they come out and see a bout, and hand off a season flyer. Shameless plug in 5...4...3...2...1... The Detroit Derby Girls Home Opener is this Saturday, November 17th!  Get your tickets now! http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/285473

No comments:

Post a Comment