Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Night

I love election night.

I don't talk politics much.  My father is a stubborn conservative.  My mother fairly liberal. But we rarely ever spoke politics in our house growing up.  I remember when I was in third grade, my elementary school set up a mock polling station in the library and allowed us to each go into a booth on our own and vote for either Bush, Clinton or Perot.  I was such a proud 10 year old that day when I came home from school to tell my dad that I voted.  "And who did you vote for?" he asked.  "Bill Clinton!" I said with a huge grin.  He was not thrilled, but that would soon be forgotten after my younger sister pulled on her ears and and stated in a naisily tone, "Hi! I'm Ross Perot!"

I have always tried my best to maintain a decent understanding of politics, though I know there is much to learn.  I have taken a few classes in college, I do my research before going to the polls, and try to stay on the up on the important issues, especially local issues that are going to have a direct impact on me and how I live my life.  But I wouldn't say I am am expert, and I tend to keep my opinions to myself.  Unless of course, I know the friendship can handle a little friendly debate.

But I love election day.  I love getting up early. I love racing out the door to the precinct.  I love standing in line waiting for the polls to open.  I love it more when I have a travel mug of coffee. I love filling out that little piece of paper, showing them my id and picking up that awkwardly too long ballot and filling in those circles with the provided pen.  I love wearing my little "I Voted" sticker... when I get one.  And all day I sit and anxiously await when the polls will start closing and the news starts filling in the state diagrams with red and blue.

And I don't vote early.  I like standing in line with my neighbors.  The casual nod good morning as you hold the door for each other.  The pleasant chit chat about the weather, how long the line is, how bad other states have it.  I feel like on this one day every 4 years the entire country is bound together by the same to do list. Almost every person I know is waking up and thinking the same thing, "Today, I need to go vote."  

Tonight I am settling in and watching Brian Williams report in the polls as they close.  I have a belly full of duck and venison, a glass of Zombie Killer (a hard cider with honey & cherry from www.bnektar.com) and life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment